When I woke up this morning at around 6, I laid there for a few minutes until I was suddenly compelled to get out of bed, get the coffee going and get to work. I am so thankful that this project is motivating me so much!

So I tried some more to fix my Cubase problem. I didn’t exactly get if fixed, but I did find a workaround. I got to work on “Serpentine.” It started out as a sort of spooky dissonant thing, but somehow this morning a funky little bass line emerged and I got some drums going too. Interesting. I like it so far.

Yesterday morning I did more work on the orchestration for “When It Will Bloom.” The oboe part surprised me a bit, there is a little percolating 16th note figure in the piece now which is pretty out of character when compared to the original version. Though it’s time consuming, I think this is really the best way to approach writing a piece like this for me. Writing the entire thing out, I mean. It’s really forcing me to think about each note and as a result, the piece is going to have much more direction. Here’s an example of the oboe part:

I have another deadline this week, I need to write two songs for another project. Slightly overwhelming but what a lovely way to be overwhelmed.